[3 October 2021, Dhaka] Rohingya right activist, leader of Arakan Rohingya Society for Peace and Human Rights (ARSPH) and Chairman, Mohibullah was shot dead on 29 September, Wednesday around 8:30 pm in Lambashia refugee camp in Ukhiya Upazila. He was declared dead after being rescued and taken to Kutupalong MSF hospital. Human Rights Forum Bangladesh (HRFB) expresses its deepest concerns about the fact that such an incident has taken place in a protected place like a Rohingya camp. In this regard, HRFB highly demands taking proper legal steps and ensuring safety in the camp.
Mohibullah was very active against the crime of genocide of Rohingya people conducted by Myanmar and he also played an active role in building public opinion in an international platform. In addition to this, he also tried to repatriate Rohingya and was also trying to secure their dignified and effective repatriation. In reality, he worked relentlessly for protecting their rights. His brutal death is unacceptable. This murder undoubtedly stands in a way of ensuring justice and protecting Rohingya’s rights.
HRFB is very anxious about this incident. The Forum expects that the concerned authority will investigate according to law and will take necessary steps to ensure punishment for the killers. Besides, the Forum places the following demands:
- Since this is not the one and only first incident that has taken place in the camp, the Forum demands for ensuring strong protection in the camp and providing security to the camp people;
- To identify the killers and their intention;
- To form a high level independent and impartial investigation committee and conduct investigation;
- To conduct the investigation within a reasonable time; and
- To make the investigation report public.
HRFB Press Statement - 03 October 2021.docx